Wednesday, January 19, 2005

15 minutes of sprints or 20/20s

18/1/05

Today's speed session was to mark out a rectangular space 100m x 50m. Then the idea was to sprint each 100m as fast as you could and jog the 50m. As each of these intervals took approximately 20 seconds, I thought a better name for the session would be 20/20s.

So after a 3km warmup, repeated these intervals for 10 minutes, then rested for a minute. Then did another 5 minutes of them until I was just about ready to collapse in a heap. I set the GPS to record each 5 minute split. Covered 1.154km in the first 5 minutes, then covered 74m less in the second 5 minutes and finally only 21m less in the final 5 minutes. So I was happy that I was able to keep the pace consistent for the final 10 minutes with the HR again climbing into the 170s by the time I finished. Finished off with a 3km warmdown for a good quick workout that was all over in less than 50 minutes which covered 9.3km in total.

Comments:
You certainly like variety in your speed training Horrie. Your 20/20s sound like they would be worth a try.
 
Sorry Eddie, I'd like to take the credit for the variety in my training. But it is the work of Supercoach Pat. Don't you do this session with his group?
 
Yes we do this one Horrie!!

Eddie - this is the square run we do in the gardens over the bark. I really like this session. Been a while since we have done it though.
The only bit about this is when you do it in a group and there are some REALLY fast runners - they lap you!!!

Horrie if you ever get to Brissy definitely come run with us. For example in this session Pat would cover at least 1x100m with each member. When he runs alongside me it really pushes me along until I am bursting. Can't ever do that on my own - though I have started racing against Tess to try to improve a bit.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?