Monday, January 24, 2005

Saturday loosener and Sunday long run

22/1/05

Went on our usual easy 7.5km run in the twilight just to loosen up and tune the bodies for our long runs tomorrow. It was very humid with a few drops of rain as the humidity got close to 100%.

23/1/05

Headed out on the Balmain Bungle with the 6.10 group with Blue Dog leading us out. Somebody suggested he might have been chasing fires. He later told me it was to stay ahead of the 6.20 group. Settled into a nice comfortable pace around 5:20 per km running alongside Superflake and Silver Fox who has just joined Striders this week as well as Spud who just 2 weeks ago ran his epic Bogong to Hotham Ultra. As the pace was a fraction quicker than it was meant to be (5:30 per km), the group splintered not long after that. Around the 6km mark, as we continued to chase Blue Dog, the pace increased to 5 minute kms which we maintained for the next hour. During this stretch we had to endure an electrical storm which sent the water everywhere. We were starting to feel like ducks at this point as we waded through parts which were ankle deep. Superflake was starting to worry about his new shoes at this point.

Then as we came to the stretch along the Cooks River, we were trying very hard to not get lost. It was at this point, that we caught up to Professor who was also having his first run as a Strider. We were lucky that Professor had some map reading skills as he ensured that we stayed on track. However as a result of slowing down to navigate that part of our journey, our pace had dropped to 5:24 per km for that section. As our confidence in finding our way to the finish increased, we picked the pace up again but missed a turn. The map said to turn at a roundabout. Somebody forgot to update that roundabout is now a set of traffic lights. After heading up the road to the next roundabout, we realised that it wasn't the street we were meant to turn to. Another check of the map meant to stop and turn around and head back to where we were meant to turn. At least another 800m added to the journey. I now realise that Superflake wants to ensure we run at least 30km every Sunday and as the map only said 29.9km, he decided to add the extra bit in to ensure we reached 30km. Picked the pace back up to 5:13 per km to pass Professor and his running mates to finish 31.2km by my GPS in 2:42 at average of 5:07 per km for a very enjoyable and refreshing run. At least the rain took care of the humidity for us and cooled us down.

Comments:
No such luck for me Horrie. I would have loved to have had a cool refreshing shower or even a downpour. I had to settle for tipping water over my head. Sure sounds like you had an eventful run.
 
Eddie's comment said it all, Horrie! If I see Superflake on Wednesday, I'll have a good look to see if there's any marks on his shoes; no use worrying about that here...dust, dirt, mud, the lot! Thanks for your comment on today's loooong run....I feel OK but knees are aching something 'orrible! Going to have a good lie down! LL
 
For some reason, I forgot all about Wednesday LL. When you said you will see Superflake, I'm thinking how? But then remembered you're coming up to the lovely Eastern Suburbs to run the Centennial Park 8km. Belinda and I are running as well and are looking forward to meeting you.
 
Company and run was excellent today inspite of the conditions. We had to get the extra distance in. 29.9ks just does not sound right. See you and Belinda at the Park on wednesday.
 
Great mental toughener today, nice effort at tricking me into the 6:20 group! I'll start bringing a compass for you guys, as I just posted to Superflake next Sunday has an absolute killer hill in it, not my strength :(
 
Thanks for the company yesterday Horrie.
Might see you next week.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?