Thursday, March 17, 2005

6 Foot Track Recovery and an update on Belinda

16/3/05

Well, this great race absolutely hammered my legs into submission. Apart from very tender quads, every muscle in my legs were reminding me what I did to them. To make matters worse, my right knee started to stiffen up on the bus back to Katoomba and got more restrictive as time went on. Slept with ice on it on Saturday night which helped somewhat. By Sunday, I no longer had full movement in it. Continued with icing and started taking Ibuprofen to combat it. Took the dog for a 4km walk and I felt that it wasn't too bad.

When I woke up Monday morning, the legs were really shot and aching badly. So I decided to head down to Maroubra Beach and do a pool running session for 45 minutes. This helped immensely and the legs were back to Sunday's condition, which wasn't great but better.

As the legs were a little better and the knee improving slightly, I went to Bronte Beach on Tuesday to knock out a 1km swim. I was very slow and very rusty but managed to do it just the same. By Tuesday afternoon, I felt that I wasn't limping as much.

So today, I went out on my favourite 10.5 km loop, which I am happy to report went okay. I managed to do it in 51:39 which meant an average pace of 4:52 per km with an average HR of 145. Legs were starting to get a little angry towards the end but I have pulled up great.

An update on Belinda's injury for those who are interested with her progress. After doing 3 spin classes last week, she attempted to go for a run last night but could only manage 15 minutes before the ankle started to scream. She has now reluctantly decided to pull the pin on Canberra.

She is very upset with this but realises there will be newer challenges ahead starting with the first to get her ankle right before she starts running again. Then to just build up again and see where the journey takes her.

Comments:
Good to hear you are recovering nicely after your great 6ft run.

So sorry to hear about Belinda - after all that hard work! Gold Coast maybe ????
 
Loved reading your report, Horrie! Hope your knee is back to doing what a good knee should be doing! It's amazing just how good water running and/or swimming can be after such a huge run at 6ft.

But for Belinda! I'm just so sorry she's had to pull out of Canberra....even with the opportunity of doing it many times in the years ahead, pulling out at a late stage would be extremely disappointing for her; but tell her that Chickybabe understands what disappointment is all about! There's still a long journey ahead for Belinda to do all the marathons she wants. LL!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?