Thursday, March 24, 2005
Midweek long run goes up tempo
23/3/05
As we are now in the taper period, I decided to move the midweek long run up a gear.
So it was to be 16km at a very solid pace to see where I was at. Started off well with no effects from Six Foot Track in the legs and felt quite good. I was soon tracking at sub 4:30 per km which felt comfortable. I then decided to hold the pace around 4:24 per km, which I did for the first 10km, going through in a tick over 44 minutes. Then just after 10km I had to turn to head back home and ran into this massive headwind. This combined with the gradient being a gradual uphill slowed me in my tracks. I didn't let this worry me as it could be blowing a gale on April 10 in Canberra. You have to be prepared for the worse. So I just battled on, enjoying myself even though I was slowing down. After the climb into the headwind, I just concentrated on holding my form and trying to keep the overall pace for the run under 4:30 per km. I failed slightly, finishing the 16km in 72:18, which gave me an overall pace of 4:31 per km.
I'm still really happy with the run as I am amazed that I have no injuries or niggles to speak of. Touch wood! It is now just a matter of staying in one piece and getting to Canberra with no problems.
As we are now in the taper period, I decided to move the midweek long run up a gear.
So it was to be 16km at a very solid pace to see where I was at. Started off well with no effects from Six Foot Track in the legs and felt quite good. I was soon tracking at sub 4:30 per km which felt comfortable. I then decided to hold the pace around 4:24 per km, which I did for the first 10km, going through in a tick over 44 minutes. Then just after 10km I had to turn to head back home and ran into this massive headwind. This combined with the gradient being a gradual uphill slowed me in my tracks. I didn't let this worry me as it could be blowing a gale on April 10 in Canberra. You have to be prepared for the worse. So I just battled on, enjoying myself even though I was slowing down. After the climb into the headwind, I just concentrated on holding my form and trying to keep the overall pace for the run under 4:30 per km. I failed slightly, finishing the 16km in 72:18, which gave me an overall pace of 4:31 per km.
I'm still really happy with the run as I am amazed that I have no injuries or niggles to speak of. Touch wood! It is now just a matter of staying in one piece and getting to Canberra with no problems.




