Saturday, March 19, 2005
New shoes and 2 runs to celebrate
17/3/05
After, the 6 Foot Track Marathon, my Reebok Premier Road Lites which I'd won in a lucky draw prize at the Striders Internal Half Marathon last October, were looking ready for the scrapheap. So I threw them in the washing machine to see how they would come up. The result was the uppers are still in ok condition but the soles are shot and would not last until Canberra. So I had to bite the bullet and buy a new pair now to give me enough time to run them in before Canberra. So I went to see Steve in the Athlete's Edge store in Randwick to get a new pair. He said that with my mild pronation and the distances that I run, the Asics 2100 would be the best shoe for me. I tried them on and they fitted like a glove. A quick run up the street and back so he can have a look at my gait to make sure everything tracked right. The shoes felt great so I just kept them on and put my old ones in the box. If anybody wants to get good shoes fitted by somebody who knows a bit about running as he runs himself, then this is the place to go. I'm not just saying that because he gave me a 20% discount but that's just another way he goes out of his way to keep his customers happy. Whilst paying for the shoes, I noticed 2 of Paul Arthur's 6 Foot Track Winner's Plates on the counter as well as a signed photo above the counter. So we got talking about 6 Foot Track. I asked him about Paul's run and he quite swiftly changed the subject to Emma Murray's race which we both agreed was out of this world. After looking at her time for 6 Foot Track, we estimated that this could translate to a 2:30 road marathon, which would have her heading for the Olympics. We both agreed to follow her progress with interest.
So having new shoes and the soreness now slowly dissipating from my legs, I ventured down to Centennial Park to knock out 3 laps of the walking path. Ran this in 54 minutes with all the laps being around the 18 minute mark so I was very pleased with the even pacing. The even better thing to come out of this run was that the legs were not as tight as they'd been the day before.
18/3/05
I woke up this morning and my right knee, which has been restrictive all week, was feeling a little freer this morning. So I headed out on my favourite 10.5km loop and ran with quite a free and easy stride. So much so that I was soon tracking on 4:40 per km. Whilst the HR was a bit higher than usual, I felt great in the legs and it was such a buzz to striding out so freely less than a week after 6 Foot Track. Finished the run in 48:22 which was a fraction quicker than the last time I did it before 6 Foot Track. So the recovery is well on track. Will have a very light run tomorrow and will run the Striders STaR on Sunday at a slower pace than usual to get the last long run out of the way and get set for the taper next week.
I'm heading off to Cool Running drinks tonight which should be a good opportunity to catch up with 6 Foot Track warriors and talk war stories.
Then it's only 3 weeks to Canberra. It's hard to believe that something you've been training for all these months is so close. I can't wait!
After, the 6 Foot Track Marathon, my Reebok Premier Road Lites which I'd won in a lucky draw prize at the Striders Internal Half Marathon last October, were looking ready for the scrapheap. So I threw them in the washing machine to see how they would come up. The result was the uppers are still in ok condition but the soles are shot and would not last until Canberra. So I had to bite the bullet and buy a new pair now to give me enough time to run them in before Canberra. So I went to see Steve in the Athlete's Edge store in Randwick to get a new pair. He said that with my mild pronation and the distances that I run, the Asics 2100 would be the best shoe for me. I tried them on and they fitted like a glove. A quick run up the street and back so he can have a look at my gait to make sure everything tracked right. The shoes felt great so I just kept them on and put my old ones in the box. If anybody wants to get good shoes fitted by somebody who knows a bit about running as he runs himself, then this is the place to go. I'm not just saying that because he gave me a 20% discount but that's just another way he goes out of his way to keep his customers happy. Whilst paying for the shoes, I noticed 2 of Paul Arthur's 6 Foot Track Winner's Plates on the counter as well as a signed photo above the counter. So we got talking about 6 Foot Track. I asked him about Paul's run and he quite swiftly changed the subject to Emma Murray's race which we both agreed was out of this world. After looking at her time for 6 Foot Track, we estimated that this could translate to a 2:30 road marathon, which would have her heading for the Olympics. We both agreed to follow her progress with interest.
So having new shoes and the soreness now slowly dissipating from my legs, I ventured down to Centennial Park to knock out 3 laps of the walking path. Ran this in 54 minutes with all the laps being around the 18 minute mark so I was very pleased with the even pacing. The even better thing to come out of this run was that the legs were not as tight as they'd been the day before.
18/3/05
I woke up this morning and my right knee, which has been restrictive all week, was feeling a little freer this morning. So I headed out on my favourite 10.5km loop and ran with quite a free and easy stride. So much so that I was soon tracking on 4:40 per km. Whilst the HR was a bit higher than usual, I felt great in the legs and it was such a buzz to striding out so freely less than a week after 6 Foot Track. Finished the run in 48:22 which was a fraction quicker than the last time I did it before 6 Foot Track. So the recovery is well on track. Will have a very light run tomorrow and will run the Striders STaR on Sunday at a slower pace than usual to get the last long run out of the way and get set for the taper next week.
I'm heading off to Cool Running drinks tonight which should be a good opportunity to catch up with 6 Foot Track warriors and talk war stories.
Then it's only 3 weeks to Canberra. It's hard to believe that something you've been training for all these months is so close. I can't wait!
Comments:
<< Home
Hi Horrie,
I've just been back over your Blog from the time of your 10k shocker in an attempt learn from your experience. The last few weeks have been very frustrating for me due to the hip problem. This interuption to my training has mde me very anxious about running a good 50k in Canberra.
Reading your blog and noting your change in attidude and emphasis has inspired me to try and do the same. I love running but have let pace and finishing times take away my enjoyment. It seems that you have found a nice balance between training effort and enjoyment. this of couse is bourne out by your fantastic 6'Track run last Sunday.
I am now going to my Long run tomorrow with a fresh outlook. Thank you.
I am really sorry that Belinda's ankle is still causing so much trouble. I had to pull out of the 2003 GC Marathon 4 weeks prior due to a stress fracture to the heel. I t was to be my 1st and I was pretty devastated so I can empathise with Belinda.
Post a Comment
I've just been back over your Blog from the time of your 10k shocker in an attempt learn from your experience. The last few weeks have been very frustrating for me due to the hip problem. This interuption to my training has mde me very anxious about running a good 50k in Canberra.
Reading your blog and noting your change in attidude and emphasis has inspired me to try and do the same. I love running but have let pace and finishing times take away my enjoyment. It seems that you have found a nice balance between training effort and enjoyment. this of couse is bourne out by your fantastic 6'Track run last Sunday.
I am now going to my Long run tomorrow with a fresh outlook. Thank you.
I am really sorry that Belinda's ankle is still causing so much trouble. I had to pull out of the 2003 GC Marathon 4 weeks prior due to a stress fracture to the heel. I t was to be my 1st and I was pretty devastated so I can empathise with Belinda.
<< Home




