Monday, March 28, 2005

Sunday Long Run - 25km

27/3/05

Due to family commitments, I gave the Striders STaR a miss today and headed out on my own for 25km. When I first woke, the legs were a little stiff after yesterday's race. So I had a good stretch beforehand and eased into the run. Went through the first 5km in 25 minutes, which was bang on 5 minute kms, feeling comfortable. Then from 5 to 15km, just let the mind drift and enjoyed just turning the legs over, without worrying about pace at all. This is something I am trying to do for the first half of Canberra. As I think the fresher you stay mentally at the beginning, the more energy you have at the end. It worked well for me at 6 Foot Track, but that is a different sort of race. When I got to 15km, I realised that the pace had slowed slightly and I was now about a minute and a half behind 5 minute km pace. So I consciously made an effort from here to slightly increase the pace right through to the end. Managed to run the last 10km in around 47 minutes to finish in just over 2:03, which left me feeling good and strong. I'm really enjoying the taper and these runs just give you the confidence you need when you're heading into a marathon. I hope it translates to a good run on the day as I know from previous experience, there are no guarantees in marathon running.

Comments:
Good run today Horrie. Nothing beats the bays and headlands along the easten suburbs to run on. Can't really get a better training area. Doing 25 in 2:03:00 is pretty good.
 
"Doing 25 in 2:03:00 is pretty good", says Superflake & so say all of us!

Like you said, Horrie, marathon running & on the day especially, has no guarantees; however, we will all be doing our best & we can't ask for more than that.....unfortunately!!
 
A bit early I know but I wanted to wish you all the best for Canberra. I'm heading off on holidays next weekend and won't be back until after the big day. Enjoy the rest of your taper, the race and the party afterwards ! Good luck !
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?