Saturday, November 05, 2005

Lane Cove 10km and the leadup

1/11/05

As I didn't set the alarm, slept in and missed running this morning. I then decided to leave work a bit earlier after enjoying Melbourne Cup festivities and go for an evening run. I headed out on the 10.5km loop and it took the legs a while to get into this running thing. I eventually warmed into it and started to move fluently. There was a nice breeze to help me deal with the warmth and humidity of running at this time of the day. Was glad to finish in under 52 minutes as I hadn't done this for a while.

2/11/05

We met the alarm this morning and headed out for 6X500m intervals with a minute standing recovery between each one. Belinda settled into a strong rhythm from the first one and I knew she was in for a good session. Finished the 6 at an average of 2:27 per rep giving us an average pace of 4:54 per km. This was a significant improvement on what she had achieved previously so all was looking good for Lane Cove.

As I was at a work conference I headed out for a 70 minute run instead of going for drinks and gibbering as you tend to do at these things. Headed out from our base at Kings Cross and headed along the City 2 Surf course out to Rose Bay then around the golf courses before heading back. It was a very hot and humid evening and by the time I did that last climb up from Rushcutters Bay, my singlet was soaked to my body and it felt like I had been for a swim. Ended up covering 13km in 67 minutes.

3/11/05

I decided to head in the other direction this morning and run down and around Woolloomooloo before heading up and around the domain then around the Opera House before heading back. It was a beautiful morning and felt great to be running around this area so early on a weekday morning which is not something I am used to. Ended up covering 11km in a bit over 55 minutes.

Belinda had trouble meeting the alarm and without me there nagging her to get out of bed, only had time for 7.5km this morning. She was happy to be able to fit this in and satisfied to run at sub 6 minute pace.

4/11/05

I headed out for an interval session on my own this morning. I decided to do 8X500m intervals with a minute standing recovery. I was happy with the consistent pacing with only the last one blowing out a bit as I was battling stomach problems. Ended up with an average of 1:59 per rep which gave me an average of 3:58 per km.

5/11/05

We woke up to a very humid morning and we were soon greeted by rain. I was glad when the rain came as I knew this would be better than having to battle heavy humid conditions that make you feel as though you are running through quicksand. As we got closer to Lane Cove, the rain started to ease and I felt we were going to be in for a tough day at the office. It was nice to catch up with a few that we hadn't seen for a while. Before we knew it we were off. The pace was a bit slow to begin with and it took a while before the field started to break up. This was the sign of things to come. We went through the first km in 5:38 and I knew I had to crank it up a bit to get back on pace. The second km was better and we went through in 5:20 which brought us back on track. Another slow km for the third as we went up and down Scribblys saw us again 9 seconds off the pace. I again picked the pace up again running the next km in 5:21 to be right on the money. However the next 2km of this course are the toughest kms and I was actually hoping to have a bit of time in the bank went we got to 4km. As if the 5:52 5th km wasn't enough to slow us down, the 6:24 6th km saw us drift out to 1:17 off the pace. A quick calculation told me if we ran 5:10 kms from here, we would still reach 55 minutes. When we ran the 7th km in 5:28, I knew we werent going to break 55 minutes running at this pace. At this point I pushed ahead of Belinda and started to overtake runners here trying to encourage people to come with me to break 55 minutes. Unfortunately, only one runner who I caught up with at 9km was able to do this and she actually pulled away from me in the last km to finish with 54:40. I was happy to be right on the money to finish in 54:58. Unfortunately, Belinda fell of the pace at 7km and battled on to finish in 56:50 which was a big disappointment for her. It was the first time she felt she wasn't able to do what she thought she was capable of. I told her to learn and grow from this experience and that there are going to be days that are just tougher than others. Today was just one of those days when a tough course was made more difficult with very heavy and humid conditions and slowed most down. I know there will be better days ahead for her if she continues to train as strong as she has done for the last year.

Comments:
Good advice for Belinda about this morning's 10km, Horrie! I don't spend much time now working out why a bad day happens ....they happen from time to time; not as if they happen every day! Best to forget about it...tomorrow is another day!

Are you both still OK for part of 6Ft on the 26th...hoping so!
 
Sorry that it didn't work out for you this morning Belinda. You'll get that PB next time for sure ! Nice pacing Horrie. Right on the money.
 
It was nice to catch up with you guys today. I think there were quite a few of us, Belinda, who didn't do as we expected. I just keep telling myself that gives me more room fot improvement in next year's series. Hopefully we will see you before then :-)

TA
 
Isn't it terrible that us runners always expect to go out there and do a PB or at the very least do what we did last time?

I call it the runners curse that we put so much expectation on ourselves and what our training can do for us.
Belinda you know you can do it! It just didn't happen in this race.
Horrie I applaud you for being able to calculate and think of all the splits and what that means during a race - I have to have lots of numbers written on my arm for me to be able to even think like that when I am running. I think the first thing to melt must be my brain *grins*

A good week for you both and a great run in the rain/humidity. Well Done and remember - there is ALWAYS another race :)
 
I think the goals are a bit sweeter if you've failed to reach them before achieving them.

Good luck in the next one, Belinda!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?