Tuesday, March 07, 2006
4 days to go
7/3/06
Belinda is doing everything possible to try and get to the start line on Saturday. Daily appointments with Larry the Physio have seen some improvement in the calf. So much so, that he suggested she try running for 5 minutes tonight to see how it felt. She stopped after 4 minutes as the calf felt very heavy with all the tape on it and she had no power in it. It's back to Larry after work tomorrow for more treatment.
It's not going to be an easy decision to make as there is no right or wrong decision. It is what feels right for Belinda. She is thinking that she will delay the decision making as long as possible as 4 days is still plenty of time. And the way it has improved in the last 3 days shows there is a glimmer of hope, even if it is only a tiny glimmer.
As for me, I am feeling very lazy in the final week of the taper. I went out for a nice 10.5km stroll and felt very comfortable. Another rest day tomorrow and a final 10.5km run on Thursday will wrap up the preparations. I am feeling like I am in No Man's Land as all my preparation has been around getting Belinda ready for this race. I don't know how I will approach it if she doesn't run. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that and she will be fit enough to run. It's going to be a tough 4 days!
Belinda is doing everything possible to try and get to the start line on Saturday. Daily appointments with Larry the Physio have seen some improvement in the calf. So much so, that he suggested she try running for 5 minutes tonight to see how it felt. She stopped after 4 minutes as the calf felt very heavy with all the tape on it and she had no power in it. It's back to Larry after work tomorrow for more treatment.
It's not going to be an easy decision to make as there is no right or wrong decision. It is what feels right for Belinda. She is thinking that she will delay the decision making as long as possible as 4 days is still plenty of time. And the way it has improved in the last 3 days shows there is a glimmer of hope, even if it is only a tiny glimmer.
As for me, I am feeling very lazy in the final week of the taper. I went out for a nice 10.5km stroll and felt very comfortable. Another rest day tomorrow and a final 10.5km run on Thursday will wrap up the preparations. I am feeling like I am in No Man's Land as all my preparation has been around getting Belinda ready for this race. I don't know how I will approach it if she doesn't run. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that and she will be fit enough to run. It's going to be a tough 4 days!
Comments:
<< Home
Fingers crossed, guys. Don't be afraid to make the call to not run it, though - it's not an event you want to go into under an injury cloud, you could ruin your entire year - and the base you've built for Six Foot could be used for a strong Canberra. There's always another race!
Belinda you can borrow my signature on CR for a bit if it helps:
"I will not be cowed by my calves"
For what it is worth I would leave making the call till around 10am Friday - once you have been up for a while you will know in your heart of hearts by then whether you are good to go or not. If "yes" you still have time to focus on the race if "no" there will be at least some time for the "acceptance" phase to kick in.
But until then don't even worry about thinking on the decision just put all your focus into healing.
And Horrie - time you strated to think about that 4:45 finish :-)
"I will not be cowed by my calves"
For what it is worth I would leave making the call till around 10am Friday - once you have been up for a while you will know in your heart of hearts by then whether you are good to go or not. If "yes" you still have time to focus on the race if "no" there will be at least some time for the "acceptance" phase to kick in.
But until then don't even worry about thinking on the decision just put all your focus into healing.
And Horrie - time you strated to think about that 4:45 finish :-)
What a tough decision! I can only imagine the discussions in the H and B household. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you Belinda.
Belinda hope you can get through this and make it to the start fit. Don't run if there is any doubt. You don't want to risk a longer injury and not run Canberra, SMH half etc.
Sending lots and lots of good thoughts your way Belinda. Hopefully a couple of days will make the world of difference. Meanwhile I'll keep my fingers crossed as well.
Belinda, hang on to Jeremiah 29:11-13. I'm not suggesting that you'll run on Saturday, but you will run again soon, and there's always more races :-)
Gnome
Gnome
I hope everything comes good in time for the race Belinda. I wish you both the best and am thinking of you.
Post a Comment
<< Home




