Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Recovery Begins and Belinda's MRI Scan

I have decided to devote this post to recovery as a few comments have been directed towards me of how I recover so quickly after big runs.

After showering, I got dressed in my compression tights and pretty much lived in them until this morning. I forgot to have an Optimizer straight after like I usually do as I tucked into some sandwiches and a nice cold beer at the Coffs Harbour Hotel. We stopped off at McDonalds at Kempsey for dinner when I remembered to have an Optimizer. Better late than never.

The day after when your legs are very sore, I find the best thing to do is to get the blood flowing through them. So I always force myself to do something. This time it was a 4km walk with Tim and the dog. This is always a tough walk as the dog was excited to see me after a few days away and wanted to rip and tear as soon as he got out of the house.

The next day was a quicker walk with the dog but shorter and the legs were still sore but getting better.

After 2 days of not running, it was back into it this morning with the first of 3 planned 10.5km runs this week. It was nice and steady this morning as I was just trying to get the legs used to running again. I was quite stiff to begin with but as the legs loosened up I started to feel better as I got going and was actually enjoying myself towards the end.

I will do this run for the next 2 days and try to run it a bit quicker each day and rest up on Saturday before tackling the SMH Half on Sunday. After volunteering for the 110 minute pacer, an email was sent to 5 of us telling us that there were going to be a 90, 100 and 120 minute pacer. I thought I was going to be called on to do the 120 minute pacing with the Gnome. However, an email tonight informs me I am doing the 100 minute pacing. I am not sure if I am up to it but I will give it my best.

Belinda had her MRI Scan today and the news is good. There is no cartledge damage and she will not require surgery. She has been given the green light to run but as the knee is still not feeling 100%, she will start with walking and just build from there.

Comments:
I thought you would be a shoe in for the 120min job. Good luck holding the 100min pace mate. Belinda it is great to hear that you don't need surgery. Hope you can get back running soon. See you Fri? or Sunday.
 
Great news Belinda. :-).

Horrie, how do you find Optimizer improves the recovery?

TA
 
Horrie

great report mate on Banana Coast, a great result. I love reading these reports, in particular by people you know and admire and know are stepping outside there comfort level. Congrats on an incredible achievement.

Berst to Belinda and Tim also, glad to here that there is some light at the end of the tunnel for Belinda also.

Catch up soon.
 
Keep the recovery nice and gentle - in my experience there is nothing to be gained by pushing too hard too early. Also even if you are feeling good there maybe still a lot of damage to the muscles that still need time to fully recover. Do you need an assistant for the 100 minute group pacer. Happy to help.
 
Bloody Excellent news on both accounts - your recovery and Belinda's MRI results.
 
Hey Horrie, I got confirmation today too about the pacing. I'm also in for the 100 minute group, so we'll be able to keep each other honest out there.
Catch you on Sunday.
 
Great new about Belinda.

Wow that is a tough gig to get the 100min group Horrie, but if anyone can - you will.
 
That's fantastic news about Belinda. So do they know why its been so painful? Is it 'just' inflamation?

Thanks for your recovery secrets though not sure if I could face Maccas the night after a big run :-)
 
That's great news about Belinda Horrie. When she's ready I agree with Ray - a very graduall comeback - lots of rest days and adding only a few minutes at a time.

I'll look out for you and Gnome on Sunday.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?