Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Leadup to Lane Cove 10km

1/6/06

As it was raining, I wussed out on a run and rode the exercise bike for an hour. I was happy with the rhythm I am developing on the bike. I am getting the hang of this now and am really starting to enjoy it.

2/6/06

Another 3.5km run with Belinda as her recovery continues. It is getting harder to hold her back as her fitness is improving. Ran a little bit quicker than the previous 2 runs. The area of her stress fracture was sore afterwards and reminded her not to build up too quickly and to back off the pace a bit.

3/6/06

Out to Lane Cove for Race 5 of the Striders 10km Series. I had volunteered for 45 minute pacing duties but was told they had somebody else. So I met up with Spud at the start and thought I would try and keep up with him. After about 500m I decided to let him go. After missing the first and second km markers, I reached the 3km mark in 12:51, which was around 43 minute pace so was pretty happy with this. The next 2.5km is mostly uphill and I felt that I didn't have too much on the hills today and ran a couple of very sluggish kms to hit the 5km mark in just over 22 minutes so was now hoping to hold on to a sub 44. I really switched off mentally here and didn't take advantage of the downhills the way I usually do here. Papa Luigi went past me at around 6km so I thought I would run with him but when we hit another uphill, he left me behind. I seemed to just go through the motions at this point and forgot I was in a race. Then going up the hill just after 8km where I topped off last year I saw Papa Luigi, Nicho and a few others just up ahead. I decided to switch back on here and set about trying to reel them in. Hitting the last km in just under 40, I was hopeful of a 4 minute last km and reel them in at the same time. As I went past all 4 of them really quickly, the footsteps behind me soon made me realise they were not going to let me do this without a challenge. So we all opened up our strides and really hammered it home. This helped me run a 3:51 last km for my fastest last km ever to finish in 43:49. Just got to stay focussed on racing next time for the whole 10km but with PMC coming up in 2 weeks, I guess that is where my head is at at the moment and 10km times don't mean much when you want to run 96km.

Comments:
Thanks for cheering at the relays you guys. They put my time down as 16:12 when I had 15:45. I think they started the time clock way before the gun somehow. A complete shambles the start was. Oh well. Good luck with PMC.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?