Sunday, July 30, 2006
M7 Westlink Cities Marathon - 3:25:51 (8:26PB)
30/7/06
Just home from a great day out. I enjoyed a great run which was well organised with the exception of arriving at 5.15 only to be told that there were no more shuttle buses, which was a bit surprising considering the race didn't start until 6.30.
We didn't let that phase us as Blue Dog drove us to the start, which I am sure Glenn Guzzo appreciated as he might have missed the chance to collect his 5G. We still arrived in plenty of time and had enough time for BD to register, stand around and chew the fat and even managed a stretch and a warmup.
So when we started we were ready to rock and roll. Colin decided to join us on the sub 3:30 bus. We were also joined by a guy from Campbelltown Joggers. We were rolling through the kms very comfortably and at each 5km split noticed we were putting more time in the bank. We got to halfway in a bit over 1:42 which gave us just under 3 minutes in the bank. We all stuck together until 25km when Blue Dog took off and opened a bit of a gap on us. Colin responded and slowly picked him up while I just tailed them about 100 metres behind. Got to the turnaround at 32km still managing sub 5 minute kms. Colin and I slowed a bit here to make sure we had a good drink and Blue Dog extended his lead. Then as we headed up the last big climb around the 35km mark, Blue Dog disappeared out of sight. I could feel the pace slowing slightly but was still clocking sub 5 minute kms. After that climb, I could feel that the spring was slowly leaving my legs and it was just a case of trying to hold my form and grind out the last 7km. The 35-40km split was the first 5km split that crept over 25 minutes, albeit just at 25:08. We managed to reel in a couple of runners at this point but there was a Cool Runner just up ahead that we couldn't quite close the gap on. I think it might have been Shogun. The last 2.2km seemed to drag on forever like it always does so when I caught a glimpse of the finish line, I said to Colin that we just have to get the bleep thing done. Then as I saw the clock approaching 3:26 I opened up the stride to finish in 3:25:51 to carve 8 and a half minutes off the PB and finally shake the monkey off my back to go sub 3:30 leaving me with a very satisfied feeling at the finish. After enjoying the luxury of the free massage on offer, we headed back to Colin's place for a nice BBQ and a couple of nice cold beers with Blue Dog and Sailaway.
This was easily my most enjoyable marathon as I don't know how I would have gone without the company and pacing of 2 very good runners as there weren't that many spectators and views to take your mind off things. So thanks guys - I owe you both big time.
This has given me a lot of confidence as I now ramp up the miles in the next month as we prepare for GBH's assault on the Glasshouse 100 miler.
Splits were as follows:
5km - 24:25
10km - 48:52 (24:26)
15km - 1:12:55 (24:03)
20km - 1:36:52 (23:47)
21.1km - 1:42:05
25km - 2:00:35 (23:52)
30km - 2:24:36 (24:11)
35km - 2:49:39 (24:52)
40km - 3:14:47 (25:08)
42.2km - 3:25:51 (2nd half split - 1:43:46)
Just home from a great day out. I enjoyed a great run which was well organised with the exception of arriving at 5.15 only to be told that there were no more shuttle buses, which was a bit surprising considering the race didn't start until 6.30.
We didn't let that phase us as Blue Dog drove us to the start, which I am sure Glenn Guzzo appreciated as he might have missed the chance to collect his 5G. We still arrived in plenty of time and had enough time for BD to register, stand around and chew the fat and even managed a stretch and a warmup.
So when we started we were ready to rock and roll. Colin decided to join us on the sub 3:30 bus. We were also joined by a guy from Campbelltown Joggers. We were rolling through the kms very comfortably and at each 5km split noticed we were putting more time in the bank. We got to halfway in a bit over 1:42 which gave us just under 3 minutes in the bank. We all stuck together until 25km when Blue Dog took off and opened a bit of a gap on us. Colin responded and slowly picked him up while I just tailed them about 100 metres behind. Got to the turnaround at 32km still managing sub 5 minute kms. Colin and I slowed a bit here to make sure we had a good drink and Blue Dog extended his lead. Then as we headed up the last big climb around the 35km mark, Blue Dog disappeared out of sight. I could feel the pace slowing slightly but was still clocking sub 5 minute kms. After that climb, I could feel that the spring was slowly leaving my legs and it was just a case of trying to hold my form and grind out the last 7km. The 35-40km split was the first 5km split that crept over 25 minutes, albeit just at 25:08. We managed to reel in a couple of runners at this point but there was a Cool Runner just up ahead that we couldn't quite close the gap on. I think it might have been Shogun. The last 2.2km seemed to drag on forever like it always does so when I caught a glimpse of the finish line, I said to Colin that we just have to get the bleep thing done. Then as I saw the clock approaching 3:26 I opened up the stride to finish in 3:25:51 to carve 8 and a half minutes off the PB and finally shake the monkey off my back to go sub 3:30 leaving me with a very satisfied feeling at the finish. After enjoying the luxury of the free massage on offer, we headed back to Colin's place for a nice BBQ and a couple of nice cold beers with Blue Dog and Sailaway.
This was easily my most enjoyable marathon as I don't know how I would have gone without the company and pacing of 2 very good runners as there weren't that many spectators and views to take your mind off things. So thanks guys - I owe you both big time.
This has given me a lot of confidence as I now ramp up the miles in the next month as we prepare for GBH's assault on the Glasshouse 100 miler.
Splits were as follows:
5km - 24:25
10km - 48:52 (24:26)
15km - 1:12:55 (24:03)
20km - 1:36:52 (23:47)
21.1km - 1:42:05
25km - 2:00:35 (23:52)
30km - 2:24:36 (24:11)
35km - 2:49:39 (24:52)
40km - 3:14:47 (25:08)
42.2km - 3:25:51 (2nd half split - 1:43:46)
Comments:
<< Home
Congrats on the PB!
Great running of late Horrie, I have no doubt with the base you've built up and recent training you will have a great GH debut. Keep it going mate.
Great running of late Horrie, I have no doubt with the base you've built up and recent training you will have a great GH debut. Keep it going mate.
Yay Horrie! Sub 3:30 has been on the cards for so long. This one was no doubt the first of many.
Go Team GBH!!!
Go Team GBH!!!
Congratulations Horrie. Raising the bar higher and higher.
Glasshouse will be a stroll in the park. Team Mellum are afraid, very afraid.
Glasshouse will be a stroll in the park. Team Mellum are afraid, very afraid.
Fantastic effort Horrie, nice even splits so a smart run. Couldnt have happened to a better bloke either. Great to see you and the family on sat morning too. Well done on the pb fella, keep on keeping on.
Post a Comment
<< Home




