Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The highs and lows of running

The lows

As Belinda's calf was not improving despite not running on it for a week, she finally booked herself into see the Sports Physician she sees when she is injured. After feeling an abnormality in her calf, he sent her off to get an ultrasound. As she works at a hospital, she was able to fast track this and got in that day. The ultrasound confirmed the worst and revealed 2 tears in the calf, the worst being 8cm long and a cm deep (that was the abnormality the doctor felt). After receiving the results, the doctor has told Belinda it is a medium grade tear that will take 6-8 weeks rehabilitation. So it is now off to the physio for her to begin treatment. She is now wondering whether she will ever get to run 6 Foot Track.

The highs

29/1/07

I had a 30 minute recovery run on the program and was surprised how I had recovered from the day before. I ran 6.2km comfortably in the half hour.

30/1/07

Today we had 10 laps of Big Bertha on the program and it was another sticky morning. My PB for Big Bertha was 19:07 and I was hopeful of beating that and if everything went well, sneak under 19 minutes. I started off with Pres as he usually sets off at a good pace. As I said, he usually does but for some strange reason (probably me breathing down his neck), we reeled off the first lap in 1:46 which was too quick. We calmed it down on the second lap and only realised when Wine Trail Runner went past us at the bottom of the hill just how quick we did start off. The second lap was 1:55 and was around the pace I was hoping to run originally. At the top of the hill on this lap, Pres was feeling the pinch after the quick start and was beginning to slow. I decided to bite the bullet as I was feeling strong and thought if I wanted to give sub 19 a nudge, then I had to have a go. I was still moving quite well at the halfway point, going through in 19:16 but had to keep it going and knew I couldn't afford to slow too much. Each lap went past and I was hoping Sean was going to shout a second number less than the last lap as I had to reel off 17 seconds in the last 5 laps to get the sub 19. This continued to happen and when he called out 16:58 at the completion of the 9th lap, I knew if I was able to hold it together, I would get the sub 19. So I continued to work up the hill and opened the stride all the way down the hill and then it was the final climb back up to the start/finish point. Knowing it was the last lap, I didn't hold back and left nothing in the tank to reel off a 1:50 final lap to stop the clock at 18:48 for a 19 second PB. I was rapt!

31/1/07

90 minutes on the program again today so I did the same run as last Wednesday. It was still sticky but there was a nice southerly blowing to make things cooler than last week. And despite running into it for the last 8km, I was still able to finish 4 minutes quicker than last week.

Comments:
Bugger.. bugger poor Belinda, what are the odds, she's been training the house down too, hopefully she will come good soon and maybe toe the 6FT start line, don't give up just yet?

Meanwhile you are going from strength to strength Horrie, good stuff.
 
So sorry that you've been hit with an injury just at the wrong time Belinda !
 
Oh no :-(

So is 6ft definitely out for Belinda then? If so, just remember she came back so strongly from last years injury. If she does the same this time then she will be on fire come 6ft Track 2008.
 
Geez Belinda that really sucks.

Ditto everything Spud said.
 
Damn. And when Belinda was putting in the hard yards at training as well. Horrie great work on the hill reps mate, augurs well for Six Foot if you keep going.
 
What can I say about the bad luck with Belinda. I agree with Spud she shouldn't give up but given the advice it looks doubtful. Make sure she recovers 100% first and then if it is in time for 6ft the run it if it is not don't as the course will find any weakness in a runner.

As for you training seems to be going from strength to strength. Keep the hill work going for WS.
 
Belinda, chin up girlfriend. We are thinking of you. 6-8weeks of rehabilitation is a life sentence to us runners so we know how you feel (those of us who have been out and injured).

I never even got to read the good stuff I just got so depressed for you when I read the 'low' news.

I hope that rehabilitation means some cycling or running later on is able to be incorporated, even if it is slow and on the flat.

6-foot may not yet be out of the question if the calf heals well, which may be a possibility as you have injured it before and come back strong. You may not end up with the result you want due to the time off now but at least the Doc may get you to the start line??? Hope so anyhow.

In the meantime, use the spare time to focus on non-running stuff to keep your mind off things.

For someone who is never at a loss for what to say, I can't think of anything else to write.

Thinking of you,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Clairie
 
Oh nooooo!

I'll second what everyone else has said. My fingers are crossed that you'll make the start line Belinda. Take care of yourself. I'm sending your calf good recovery thoughts ;-)

Jxx
 
Belinda, As Forest Gump said "Shit Happens". Good luck with the recovery. You've built up such a great base try to figure out how to retain it. If 6 foot doesn't happen we'll just need to up the ante and shoot for 12 foot.

Sounds like a bloody long time for a muscle tear. Maybe a 2nd opinion from a running friendly doc??

Shrug!

Brendan
 
Terribly sorry to hear Belinda's bad news!

If you don't get to run 6ft this year, there's plenty more years ahead for you....chin up!
 
I'm really sorry to hear about Belinda's calf and that sounds nasty and painful. It least its seems to be a good clear diagnosis and that should assist in quick recovery we hope.
 
That's sad Horrie. So sorry for her. Rest from running and rehab could get her to the Explorer's Tree. Then, a very careful run/walk to the finish.
 
That's is really bad news for Belinda. I hope the recovery goes well.

Congrats on the PB Horrie. It's good to be able to pul one of those out of the hat now and again.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?