Thursday, January 11, 2007

Midnight Birthday Run with Aunty K and 5km fartlek

10-11/1/07

At 11.45pm last night Belinda and I joined Aunty K for a midnight run to see in her 40th birthday. We were joined by Dazza K, Uncle Dave and Professor for a cruise around the Bay. Just after we started an ambulance came past with its lights flashing. We soon realised that it was Wildthing who had also come to join in the fun. Then as midnight arrived, Wildthing again set the lights flashing and we popped some crackers to wish Aunty K a Happy 40th. We then continued around the Bay at a nice leisurely pace and at the completion of the lap, sat on the footpath outside Drummoyne Rowers and polished off a couple of bottles of champagne to celebrate.

11/1/07

After about 3 hours sleep we were up again to head out to SWEAT for a 5km Fartlek session. As we were arriving, I felt it was the last place I wanted to be. However, after a 1km warmup and the drills, I somehow managed to get the body moving again. Sean advised us to run the efforts at 5km pace and the floats at half marathon pace. He said that our finish time should be around a minute outside what we would race 5km in. I tried hard not to start off too fast as this is what you tend to do on this session and was surprised to see 4:04 on the watch at the 1km mark. I spent the next couple of laps picking runners off even though the splits had slowed to 4:12 and 4:18. I could now see the other runners in front of me were out of reach and it now seemed to be hard work. I was passed by a runner from behind so I knew I must be slowing and it proved to be with a 4:24 4th km. Sean then challenged me to unleash the Kenyan within, somehow forgetting that I ran the 12 Hour on the weekend. There was no Kenyan to unleash today. When I passed Belinda half way through the last lap, she yelled out go but there was no GO in me at this stage and I was just doing my best to hang on. I was happy to finish the last km in 4:14 to give me an overall time of 21:14, which I was pretty pleased with.

After I finished, I waited for Belinda and I ran the last km with her. She was running really well and managed to finish in 27:44 with splits of 5:19 (too fast), 5:49 (feeling the effects of the fast 1st km), 5:33, 5:27 and 5:34.

Comments:
That Wildthing is a party animal. Ask her to park the ambo somwhere along the Black Range.
 
SWEAT appears to have copied my training program. Nice quick run from the two of you considering the 12hr on Saturday.
 
Wow that is a fantastic recovery guys - well done.
 
I think there may be a FEW Kenyans living in my body ;) hehehe
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?