Sunday, March 11, 2007

6 Foot Track Marathon 2007

10/3/07

Another great very well run 6 Foot Track Marathon. Congratulations to Kevin, Striders and the Rural Fire Service. Take a bow!

To add a bit of theatre to our presence as Grim Sweepers, Virtual and I decided to hire Grim Reaper costumes. This certainly created a mixed feeling amongst the runners. You could tell who was worried about being swept from the race. Although most people thought it was great and were having a great laugh and asked to have photos taken with me. This included the runner from the US who was running 7 marathons in 7 continents and his friends. It was great talking to them as one of his friends ran Western States in 1979 as his first 100 mile trail run. Kevin was introducing the 7 hour pacer for waves 3 and 4 and then me. The respective 7 hour pacer would get a huge cheer and I would get jeered. Again, it was great theatre.

The only problem was there was no Virtual! He had decided to run from Caves House to the start and set out at 2am. He may have made it on time if he did not take a wrong turn at the Deviation and add an extra 8km to his journey. We finally saw him coming up Nellies Glen as we were descending. I decided to let Cameron, the 7 hour pacer in Wave 4 go ahead at the bottom of Nellies Glen and run a very slow jog, waiting for Virtual to catch up. When I get to Megalong Rd and there was still no sign of him, I decided to sit down and wait for him. Finally, after waiting for somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes, he arrived. So now it was 1:45 into the race and we were just leaving Megalong Rd. I had a laugh with him and said at least we gave runners who fell behind the 7 hour pacer a good buffer. This would mean that we would not have to sweep too many out of the race. We then had a fairly uneventful run down to Cox's River where we put our masks on for the photo opportunity of crossing the river. When we got to the aid station, Virtual was making up for lost nutrition and hydration so we stayed there for a while. I took this opportunity to clear my shoes of the grit that had got into my shoes on the river crossing. The RFS told us the nearest runners were about 15 minutes ahead. So Virtual and I decided we would run/walk the climbs as they would and keep the pace fairly slow. This also had something to do with the fact that he had already done about 70km. So up we plodded and when we got to aid station at the Cattle Yards, there was a runner there who had withdrawn with a suspected broken wrist after falling on the single trail down to Cox's River. So I took his bib and chip and restocked our hand held bottles and we then set off to see if we could actually catch anybody. We finally managed to catch 2 ladies at Allum Creek and regretfully had to end their race there. Then it was a fairly slow climb to Pluvio as Virtual was now really starting to feel the pinch. When we got to the aid station before Pluvio, another runner had withdrawn himself and was laying down in the RFS vehicle. Then off we went on the final climb to Pluvio, which we reached in 5 hours. We asked the RFS at this point where the nearest runner was and they said at least 15 minutes ahead. So we thought we might catch him if he was doing more walking than running. The only problem here was to get Virtual to do more running than walking as he was now doing it quite tough. So we would set little targets and this kept him moving at a brisk enough pace. At each checkpoint, we would ask how far ahead the next runner was and at the last aid station before the Deviation, they advised us he was now only 4 or 5 minutes ahead. Then as we got closer to the Deviation, we spotted him ahead. I told Virtual I would run ahead and have a chat to him to make it easier to withdraw him from the race. The only problem was when I caught and started the conversation, he was not going to have a bar of me withdrawing him from the race and was going to finish and that I could not stop him. I tried to get his bib and chip off him. He said that he had already handed his chip in and was going to keep his bib. I then went back to Virtual and relayed the story to him so we decided that Virtual would walk the last 10-11km with him as we could not leave him out on the course on his own. I could now run ahead and run to how I felt so I picked up the pace a little. It felt so good moving through the Deviation without the hint of the Cramp Bear getting me like he did last year. The aid station at Caves Rd had already packed up and all they had left was a warm bottle of water so I topped up my hand held and off I went. My costume was waiting for me at the final aid station at Binda Cabins but as I still had over 4km to go, including the steep descent down Mt George fire trail, I wasn't putting it on yet. I finally decided to put it on at the top of the paved steps. I then heard the announcer bringing in the final runner and I would arrive about a minute later to finish in around 7:39.

Comments:
Can't wait to see a pic of the costume Horrie. Sounds like you had a great day out. :)
 
Thanks for looking after me yesterday, including the lift home. We didn't get to sickle as many runners as we'd hoped but with your current state of fitness you'll get plenty of opportunity to bury people.
 
Sounds like you had a lot of fun Grim..errr Horrie. You continue to reap rewards form all you give to running.
 
i think it was nice of that guy to walk with brendan for the last 10km.
sounded like he needed some sweeping himself! ;)
well done mate.
must feel good to give something back.
 
Hmmm somehow you (and some others) got dropped out of my bloglines list???

Nice work as the Grim Sweeper Horrie - I only wish you had of worn the mask across the finish :-)
 
Nice effort in doing the grim sweeper job. Thankless task when you have to convince people to quit. But do it with charm so that's all good. I ran into Virtual on the single track just after the stairs and I had a laugh when he said he got lost at the deviation. Great to see you at the start and I did see you finish. Cheers mate. One hell of a race. Next year you race mate, no sweeper/pacer.
 
Great job Horrie! The costumes were brilliant. Very happy you didn't have to perform many burials.

See you and Belinda at the tree in '08! Hope the WS training continues to go well.
 
Good to have had the sweeper duties for the experince. Just caught up on last week as well and the 3 x 2k was a great session. You are ready for that sub 40 with the a few days taper. While you are at this fitness level and having a quiet few weeks you should slot one in.
 
I just love that sense of humour Horrie and congrats for your efforts on the day. You had a very significant task and one that doesn't get recognised often enough.
 
LOL. Sounds like you had an enjoyable day out there Horrie.

I can't thank you & Belinda enough for all your incredible support, encouragement & faith. I'm very much looking forward to starting Six Foot next year alongside Belinda :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?