Saturday, March 31, 2007

CR 5km Challenge - A new PB

28/3/07

Another 2 hours on the program today. So it was the same run as last Wednesday, the 2 loops which give me 24km. I didn't goof off this time and was able to keep the pace under 5 min/km. Was very happy to finish the run comfortably in a tick under 1:58 for an average of 4:55/km.

29/3/07

5 x 1km reps were on the menu this morning. Weather was a little cooler still but humidity high. We were feeling our way on the first one and trying to keep it comfortable, finished in 3:49. I opened up the stride after this one and ran the next 4 a little quicker in 3:42, 3:41, 3:41 and 3:44. I would normally be happy with a set like this, only to have my world shattered by Virtual pulling a 3:37 out his backside on the last after bludging on the first 4.

30/3/07

The usual half hour recovery run on Friday saw me moving a bit quicker and the legs felt surprisingly fresh to run 6.5km in the allocated time at an average of 4:38/km. Although the humidity looks like it may have left us as the morning air was quite cool and thinner than what it has been.

31/3/07

CR5km Challenge time and I have not been able to get to one of these for quite a while due to Little Athletics commitments on Saturday mornings. I had managed to run a couple of 5km TTs during Colin's Summer Series on Friday evenings and was happy with the progress I was making and was confident of giving the PB a shake. My reasoning was that the mind is a little refreshed after a sleep on Friday night to give you a mental break after being at work all week and with the weather now being a little cooler and less humid. Apart from a bit of a headwind, it was great conditions for running fast as I mentioned to a few before the start. Headed out in the 19 minute group led by Action, which also included Blue Dog, Wine Trail Runner, Running Wolf, Luke Skyrunner and Professor. Action led us out well and we hit the 1km mark bang on 3:48. I wasn't feeling that fluent at that point but it wasn't taking too much out of me to run at that pace. The fluency started to get a little better as the course spread out and we didn't have as many walkers to deal with. The second km was a little quicker in 3:44 and I was starting to feel great. I had tucked myself behind the group in the second km and got a bit of protection from the headwind. As I was feeling good, I decided to pull out from the group and do a bit of the work out in front. That wasn't the wisest move but I didn't want to be a wuss and just draft the whole way. Went through the 3rd km in 3:46, which gave me a 17 second 3km PB if I was doing a 3km TT. Then came the 4th km, which I always find the toughest. I started to lose it a bit mentally here and the leading 4 runners in the pack started to gradually pull away from me. It amazed me that when I was running with the pack I felt a million dollars then all of a sudden I started to doubt myself and felt I was struggling. The split for the 4th km was 3:50 so I was still moving quite well but had really started to fall off the pace of the group. Then somewhere in the last km, Uncle Dave whizzed past me as if I was standing still on his way to a 15:52. I knew a 3:51 last km would get me the sub 19 but as the group had pulled away, all I could do was tell myself that it was the last km and to hold on till the finish. I felt as though I was losing it and consoled myself that I was still going to smash my old PB of 19:30. Then, as always, I found that little bit extra for the final 100m sprint and managed to stop the clock in 19:01. This left me mixed feelings. Very happy to smash the old PB by 29 seconds but a little disappointed not to find the extra 2 seconds to dip under 19. It just shows you how important the mental side of running is. That will now be the next challenge!

Comments:
Congrats on the PB mate. A great by the look of it. Now for the 10k next Saturday at Domain.
 
Huuuuuuge congrats on that 5k PB Horrie. Sub 19 next time for sure!

That must convert to a speedy Canberra time :)
 
Great race Horrie! You'll well and truly smash 19 next time. Sean's training is really paying off. Congrats also on the unofficial 3k PB :)
 
Fantastic Horrie! You just don't stop pulling those PB's out of the hat. Congratulations and may there be many more.
 
Well done Horrie, much deserved and I reckon you'll be seeing the other side of 40 minutes way before me the way you are going!
 
Well done with the PB Horrie. Are not you meant to be traning for longer races??

cheers PLu
 
Thats an excellent result Horrie.

It really helps running with others and when they pull away from you it mentally makes you feel slower - that's my experience too. Forever after I am always thinking 'why couldnt I just hang on for one more km.....but in the end we do the best we can do on the day.

I'm sure you're good for a sub 19 and look forward to hearing you do it soon. :)
 
That's fast Horrie, you will blitz the 40 minute 10km barrier very soon, impressive stuff mate, well done!
 
Congratulations again on the PB. I agree with Spud with a couple of days taper a 10k under 40 is very very possible.
 
Sensational result Horrie & much deserved! Congratulations
 
Great PB Horrie! How long till the next one??
 
How the hell do you do 19 minutes? That just blows me away! Awesome.

I know just what you meant about the difference between running with the group and by yourself. I don't think it matters whether you dropped the group or the group dropped you, it's so much harder by yourself.

Gnome
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?